R&R agencies provide services to families and child care providers. These agencies have been funded by California Department of Education (CDE) since 1976.
Across the state, R&R agencies:
- Provide information to families regarding quality child care and other community resources.
- Maintain comprehensive databases of child care providers in their communities, including licensed family child care homes and child care centers
- Provides training and technical assistance for providers to improve the quality of child care
- Educates local community leaders to understand child care issues and to plan effectively to address child care needs
The Riverside County R&R agency assists families with finding licensed child care near their home, work, or child’s school. The computerized, geographically-based program lists over 2,800 licensed centers and family child care homes!
Child Care Referrals
Families in Riverside County can call or go online and get a free, customized plan to assist them in identifying, selecting, and securing child care that best meets their needs. Trained professionals help families consider options such as state preschool, center-base child care, Head Start, etc. R&R staff offer all services in English and in Spanish.
Child care referrals are based on parent’s request of:
- Type of care
- Hours needed
- Ages of children
- Special needs
R&R agencies will also provide other resources to families as necessary – including food, shelter, counseling, summer camp program, utility assistance, etc.
Riverside County R&R by the numbers
8,000+ child care referral calls every year
40,000+ requests for technical assistance
The Riverside County R&R is also committed to supporting the early care and education workforce in our communities. From the moment a professional decides to pursue a career in early childhood education, the R&R supports them with training, pre-licensing inspections, information on providing quality programs, and guidance on how to market and run a successful child care business.
Services the R&R provides to ECE professionals Riverside County
Child Care Initiative Project (CCIP)
CCIP is a program to increase capacity and improve the quality of care for children. The program is designed to train, guide, and mentor unlicensed providers so they can obtain their child care license. Through a minimum of 25 hours of training, educators learn how to navigate the licensing process, provide environmentally-healthy child care, build social & emotional competence in children, study the ages & stages of child development, and receive character education. Classes are open to anyone interested. Learn more.
ECE Workforce Registry
Any provider may request technical assistance to help create a ECE Workforce Registry ID or for help navigating the website.
Health & Safety
The Riverside County Office of Education, which administers the R&R, is also the Region 10 Hub for distribution of the Preventative Health Training Grant in Riverside, San Bernardino, Inyo, and Mono Counties. Through this grant, the R&R connects providers with training opportunities and assists licensed child care providers with costs toward the mandated hours of health and safety training (including Pediatric First Aid, CPR, and Preventative Health) required by California Community Care Licensing.
Training & Technical Assistance
The R&R provides training for child care professionals in areas such as:
- Security and disaster preparedness for the child care professional
- Social Emotional Learning Foundations (SEFEL)
- Strengthening Families/5 Protective Factors
- Bridging the Generation Gap
- Director’s Toolbox
- Assistant Director’s Leadership Academy
- Compliance Classes for providers receiving violations from Community Care Licensing
- Provider Cafés
Trustline is the only authorized screening program for caregivers that has access to CA Department of Justice and the FBI information. Trustline keeps a database of license-exempt child care providers, nannies, and babysitters that have cleared criminal background checks in California. The Riverside R&R maintains all Trustline clearances, denials, & closures for Riverside County.
As you’ve probably gathered, the R&R is truly the heart of the early care and education community in Riverside County, and as such, is in a fantastic place to report on the state of the industry. The R&R provides information to local, state, and national stakeholders on data related to:
- The greatest areas of child care need
- Gaps in child care in the County
- Average provider rates by zip code
- Local resource data for starting a child care home or child care center